Friday, April 3, 2009

Arrrggghhh...

I have a new pet peeve today. I've always been convinced TSN is completely anti-Hab, which has been irritating enough. Whenever they want to highlight how great a particular (non-Hab) player is, they show video of him scoring on the Habs, or, in the case of a goaltender, stoning the Habs. It doesn't even matter if the particular illustrative clip is from this season. They've only recently stopped using the infamous Spezza-undresses-Souray clip, and Souray's been gone for two years. I think they only retired that clip because the Sens are sucking and there's not really a good reason to talk about Spezza's greatness.

Video bias aside, they also employ people like Keith Jones, who glories in shouting about how the Habs are such a lock to either not make the playoffs or to be the first out if they do get in. And Michael Landsberg on Off the Record smirks whenever he gets a chance to talk about how badly the Centennial season is going.

Still, I've become immune to most of that stuff. But one thing I can't forgive. Darren Dutchyshen has taken to calling the Canadiens, almost without exception, the "Habbies." It's a bastardized nickname that manages to be mocking and condescending all at once, and I hate it. If the Habs have it in them to finish the season really strongly and make some noise in the playoffs, please Lord let them do it. If only to shut up those idiots at TSN and kill "Habbies" forever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you possibly expect anything not biased against the Canadiens from the group known as the Toronto Sports Nitwits? When I'm forced to watch the game on TSN or CBC, I turn the sound down unless I see one of the Habs being interviewed. The CBC is just as bad as TSN - PJ Stock, Mike Milbury, Don Cherry...need I say more?
I totally agree the term "habbies" is disgusting.
I've been wondering what CBC is going to do if Montreal goes past the first round of the playoffs? Imagine the only Canadian team in the East is the Canadiens. I'm sure some of them will have to take medication to get through it. Saturday night's game is a must win and I am hoping that the Habs, "kick the Leafs sorry butts, big time." Thanks for your posts,JT. I look forward to reading them everyday.

Jay said...

I heard Dutchyshen voicing that and it rankled me no end. I think we must be of similar make-up, that is, I read your blogs/reports and your past columns and it's like having my thoughts and feelings validated. Keep up the good work!

James said...

Dutch calling the Habs Habbies is absolutely terrible. Everytime I hear it, I cringe...

But during yesterday's game, something happened. Pierre Maguire said something intelligent, and it was pro-Habs!
He said that Max Lapierre was the league's most improved forward this year, bar none. And then he added, in typical Maguire fashion:
'And I really mean that, Cris! He's really the league's most improved forward. I really mean that.'

I thought it was nice of him to say that, and it might even be true...

Eternal Pessimist said...

I call them the Habbies all the time but as a Habs fan who constantly butchers the English, French and any other language on a daily basis and doesn't appear on national television, I think I'm allowed to do that....

Anonymous said...

I nearly spit out my cereal when I heard it, as well. I generally avoid SportsCentre as much as possible. If it weren't for the fact that Rogers in Toronto won't carry RDS HD, and the fact that I like Chris Cuthbert (boo CBC for losing him in favour of the old drunk bastards)I wouldn't watch the hockey broadcasts there either. Not that the CBC is any better.